The current Information Systems Department in Arsi University was first stablished under collage of Informatics of former Adama University as Management Information Systems. Has also been administered under School of Engineering and Information Technology when Adama University become Adama Science and Technology University (ASTU). Later in 2015 GC when Arsi University is stablished (Separating from ASTU) the MIS department moved to Arsi University under collage of Business and Economics.
Information is increasingly becoming a key strategic resource for effective and sustainable development of any type of organization in the contemporary society. Recent advancements and applications of information systems and/or communication technologies have transformed the structure of the international and national economies, leading to new methods and practices in most institutions.
Demand for the technology worker is intensified by the fact that every product and service
provided by today’s society depends on productive, high-quality information systems. It became very apparent that individuals who can bring about the effective deployment and administration of information systems to achieve business success in today’s highly competitive global environment are in high demand.
The Bachelor of Science (BSc.) in IS degree program equips students to solve contemporary business problems by integrating a constantly evolving Information Technology solutions with Business operations. Rather than a foundational focus on a micro-level computer science, our focus on applications of the Internet (World Wide Web) and Mobile computing will allow students to combine their knowledge of computing and organizations to bridge the gap between technical and business specialists. The skill set combination prepares students to provide solutions and achieve goals for companies, non-profit organizations, and government agencies.
The goal of the Information Systems department is to produce innovative graduates capable of applying the power of Information technology to solve business and community problems in the field of Information Systems. Specific objectives of our IS degree programs are to:
- Provide students with the analytical and practical frameworks and methodologies necessary to analyze, design, implement, and manage complex information systems in contemporary
- Provide knowledge of the principles necessary for understanding basic computer hardware and software systems to ensure the data quality, transmission, processing, and storage necessary to facilitate organizational decision making and general operations;
- Enable students to develop competencies in applying systems analysis and design strategies and techniques in realistic marketplace environments; and
- Motivative and influence students and communities to embrace change and adopt entrepreneurial mindset to become innovator.
* Admission Requirements
In addition to the general requirements for admission by Ministry of Education (MoE/HERQA) and the University the department admission is based:
- Successful completion of freshman program in Natural science.
- Admission priority will be given to students with the best academic performance relative to the rest of the applicant pool.
- Intake capacity of the department
* Degree Nomenclature
Students who have successfully completed graduation requirements can earn the following degree: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Degree in Information Systems. Its Amharic version is “የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በኢንፎርሜሽን ሲስተምስ”
* Graduate Profile
The graduate who has successfully completed the B.Sc. in Information Systems degree will possess ability to deploy and administer information systems to achieve business success in today’s highly competitive global environment. The graduates are expected to gain knowledge and skills that enable them to:
- Analyze, Design, Implement, Test and Maintain Information Systems.
- Design, Implement, Test, Administer and Maintain Database Systems.
- Analyze, Design, Configure, Test, Administer and Maintain Networks and Network Resources.
- Plan, Organize, Direct, Control, Lead Information Systems, Services and Resources.
- Develop Information Systems Projects, and Policies
Provide Training and Consultancy Services