The Department of Agricultural Economics is the oldest departments in the Ethiopian Higher Education. It was among the pioneer sections at Haramaya University, the then Alemaya University, commenced in 1960 to produce qualified BSc graduates in Agricultural Economics. The first graduates were only three in 1962. Currently, the program is being run by various higher learning institutions at different levels of qualifications. The program has been making its own contribution to the development efforts through producing skilled and competent professionals, in areas such as socioeconomic research and development, agricultural marketing, agricultural entrepreneurship, policy analysis. Moreover, there is a very broad international reputation and significance of the program all over the world.
The department of Agricultural Economics is among the recently initiated and launched department (2016) of the College of Agriculture and Environmental Science (CAES) of Arsi University with a mandated to produce qualified BSc graduates in field of Agricultural Economics. The department adopted harmonized curriculum (2013 and 2021) and therefore the implementations have been in line with the harmonized curriculum of the nationally adopted Agricultural Economics curriculum. Thus, currently our department is providing regular program education in Agricultural Economics at B.Sc. level.
Two MSc programs launching efforts are under process and at the final stage to be launched soon. The curriculum review process is completed for both programs, namely ‘MSc Agricultural Economics’, and ‘MSc in International Masters in Agricultural Management’. The International Masters in Agricultural Management (IMA) is as part of the international collaborative MSc program that links and strengthens the collaboration with international applied university located oversea- Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University of Applied Sciences, Germany.
Mission and Vision of the Department
The department of Agricultural Economics shares university’s mission statement which depicts the university mandate in producing competent and qualified graduates in various fields, agricultural economics inclusive, through doing problem solving nationally adoptable and applicable research and also by promoting research outcomes.
Likewise, the department of Agricultural Economics shares the university’s set vision, aiming and targeting to achieve the vision of the university and therefore, strives to be one of the leading African Universities with international standing by 2025 as indicated.
The overall goal of the B.Sc. degree program is to produce competent, skilled, and committed agricultural economics professionals capable of bringing change in the agricultural economy.
The specific objectives of this academic program are to:
- Produce knowledgeable graduates in the field of Agricultural Economics who can assist efficient and sustainable use of the societies‟ scarce resources;
- Produce committed, motivated, socially accountable and qualified Agricultural Economists who undertake problem-solving socio-economic researches in the field;
- Produce graduates who will engage in community services, and
- Provide consultancy and advisory services to governmental and/or non-governmental organizations
Graduate (Professional) Profile
After successful completion of the training, the graduates are expected to gain knowledge skills and attitude that enable them to:
- Participate in design, implementation and evaluation of agricultural development projects;
- Apply effective and efficient resource utilization theories and practices for sustainable· agricultural development;
- Involve in feasibility studies and advise investors, financial institutions, agriculture and· allied sectors;
- Assist researchers and policy makers in agricultural production and productivity;· marketing and sustainable use of natural resource and environment;
- Establish and operate their own business;
- Train and advise small scale farmers and agricultural entrepreneurs;
- Serve as planners in agricultural offices;
- Manage small scale farms and agricultural enterprises;
- Work as Extension team member/leader, Market expert and Loan officer; and
- Assist teaching at Higher Learning, technical and vocational training institutions
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction for the program is ENGLISH
Students who have successfully completed graduation requirements can earn the following degree: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Agricultural Economics. Its Amharic version is “የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በ ግብርና ምጣኔ ሐብት”
Program Profile and Duration of the Degree Program
The training is a four years program. Students are required to take a total of 152 credit hours or 251 ECTS. A four-year academic time is required to acquire a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Agricultural Economics.
Course Content of the Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Economics
The courses consist of eight semesters with practical elements as per the course relevance, and one practical training course: practical attachment.
Department Administration/ Head: Degefu Kebede Bayecha
Mobile: (+251) 926632711 Office Tel: 022331807;
Skype: degefuk, 138, Assela, Ethiopia