- Objectives of the Program
The objectives of Agribusiness and Value Chain Management program are derived from the mission, vision and strategic plan and objectives of public universities in Ethiopia. The Agribusiness and Value Chain Management courses offered in the universities provide students with broad training in business and value chain management and create knowledge and skills that form the professional base of the personnel working in agribusiness commercialization. The curriculum has been designed in a way that combines management fundamentals with insights into the dynamic economic, social, technological and political forces that shape business decision making in the context of value chain development and management.
The Agribusiness and Value Chain Management specialist has multiple roles at macro and micro levels. The specific Objectives of the program are to produce:
- Produce knowledgeable graduates in the field of Agribusiness and Value Chains who can involve in initiating, developing, managing, coordinating, and analysing agribusiness firms;
- Produce committed, motivated, socially accountable and qualified Agribusiness and Value Chain managers and analysits for undertaking rigorous and problem-solving research in their fields of expertise;
- Produce graduates that will render community services; and
- Produce graduates for offering consultancy and advisory services to agribusiness firms, value chain actors, government institutions, and NGOs
- Graduate Profile
In general, the graduate of the program is expected to analyze and interprete information on farm production methods and technologies across the value chain. In particular after successful completion of the training, the graduates are expected to gain knowledge and skills that enable them to:
- Analyze agribusiness sector investment opportunities and limitations; and evaluate investment climate for agribusiness enterprises.
- Identify and develop potential value chains for major commodities in the country
- Apply economic, political, legal, commercial and business theories and concepts in solving practical problems and for improving practices
- Apply their knowledge to establish and effectively run their own private firms or agribusiness enterprises
- Consult and practice on the identification, appraisal and implementation of agribusiness development polices, projects and programmes
- Serve as planners in agriculture and rural development,
- Work as agribusiness and value chain management analysts,
- Advise on economic and business matters in agribusiness and value chai arena,
- Apply socio-economic researches in dealing with practical issues and concerns,
- Work as Teacher, Market expert, Loan officer, Credit expert, and Policy idea generator
- Program Profile
The training is a four years program. It offers theoretical knowledge and practical skills to qualify the competency of students in the profession. Students are required to take a total of 153 credit hours or 250 ECTS
- Duration of the Degree Program
A four-year academic time is required to acquire a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Agribusiness and Value Chain Management. Students will join the program after succefully completing first year common courses.
- Admission Requirements
Students admitted directly from secondary school are required to meet the national higher education enrollment criteria of that year. After successfully completing first year common courses, students will join the program competitively based on their interest. Others like re- admission and advance standing shall be treated according to the academic rules and regulations of the Universities.
- Graduation Requirements
Students who are directly admitted from secondary school are expected to take a total of 150 credit hours (57 courses). At the end of the program, the student is required to have a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.00 with no “F” letter grade in any course.
- Degree Nomenclature
Students who have successfully completed graduation requirements can earn the following degree: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in Agribusiness and Value Chain Management. Its Amharic version is “የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በ ግብርና ቢዝነስ እና የእሴት ሰንሰለት ሥራ አመራር”
- Mode of Delivery
The courses will be delivered through lectures, providing exercise and assignment, project work, term papers, and research work. The aim is not only to train the students adequately but also evaluate whether they qualify in the course or not. In addition, latest technologies, like E-learning would be used to deliver the courses.
Students would be evaluated based on written and computer base assignments, class participation, and presentation, reports, mid-term and final examination.
- General Assessment and Evaluation Methods
Though the weight and the type of assessment varies based on the nature of the course and underline course objective, the following methods will be employed to assess the competency of the student.
- Assignments, group work , presentation of reports and term papers
- Mid semester and final examination
- Activities, practical and field visits and reports
- Practical and Written examination
Research and project works
- Quality of paper written and presented
- Way of presentation
- Topic presented
- Grading system
Grading system will be as per the Arsi University Legislation.
- Quality Assurance Mechanisms
In order to assure quality for the program, various measures will be taken as per the universities‟ quality assurance policy. Besides, the program will make use of the following measures for evaluating and monitoring the quality of the teaching learning process.
- Designing institutional self-assessment at program level (e.g. course evaluation, course content revision, etc)
- Holding regular meeting with stakeholders
- Conducting employer feedback surveys
- Assesses Instructors (teachers) performance based on their competence
- Carrying out College and University wide workshop