Department of Plant Sciences
Bachelor of Science Degree in Plant Science
Rationale of the Program
This program is designed to respond to immediate needs of the country to increase crop production and productivity, and thereby contribute to improve the livelihood of its people. The program aims at producing competent professionals who are well equipped with both theoretical and practical knowledge and skills in managing all aspects of plant production and management in the Ethiopian context and, thereby to conduct various plant science related research and development activities, which can contribute to the country’s development program.
Program Objectives and Graduate Profile
The ultimate aim of the program is to improve crop production and productivity and ensure sustainable use of natural resources in the country, thereby contributing to improvement of the livelihood of the nation. Such a program seeks to produce competent professionals who are equipped with both academic and practical knowledge and skills in managing all phases of the crop production and management; and conducting various research and extension activities which can contribute to the development of the country and ensuring food security and self-sufficiency.
The specific objectives of the program are:
§ To produce adequate and well-trained manpower that will regionally, nationally and internationally contribute to generation, dissemination and adoption of improved plant production and protection technologies;
- · To provide students with basic and applied knowledge of natural resources (soils, agricultural waters and forestry); and field, horticultural and industrial crops production and protection;
- To enable the students, understand and comprehend problems in crop production and seek solutions through exposure to research, extension and management;
- To enable the students, gain the skill and knowledge of proper management and conservation of natural resources and protecting the environment;
- To provide the students with the knowledge of handling plants and their products;
- To integrate training-research-extension to increase the efficiency of plant technology generation, dissemination and adoption by end-users and, thereby, contribute to the intended regional and national development;
- To enable students to conduct relevant research in plant science in problems that affect the region and the nations; and
- To provide professional services to the community and policy makers at large.
Graduates of the department of plant sciences program are well equipped with knowledge, skills and attitude needed to:
- Promote and disseminate agricultural technology through training of farmers and extension worker;
- Identify and analyse problems related to plant sciences and devise appropriate solutions;
- Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate programs/projects related to plant production, protection and management in sustainable base;
- Involve in research undertakings in the areas of plant production, plant protection, and natural resources;
- Design and conduct trainings for specialized skill and knowledge in areas of plant sciences;
- Assist policy makers and development practitioners on appropriate plant sciences and natural resources management techniques;
- Generate self-employment, establish and mange private enterprises related to their profession and related fields; and
- • Involve in consultancy and advisory services in the field of plant sciences.
To be admitted to BSc. in Plant Science, candidates should fit to admission requirement to Ethiopian higher education institutions upon successful completion of a one year freshman program in natural science. Placement of students to the program abides to the Arsi University affirmative regulation. Others like re-admission and advanced standing shall be treated according to the academic rules and regulations of the Arsi universities. Students who graduated with diploma in the field of Horticulture, Plant sciences, General Agriculture and other related fields from recognized institutions can also apply to pursue their studies in regular, summer and extension programs based on the Arsi university legislations.
Duration of Study
- 4 years for regular undergraduate program
- Students will be eligible for graduation upon successful completion of a minimum total credit hours of 152 and Maximum load of 154(there are two elective courses in the program; a student must register for 50% of the elective courses credit hours set for the regular program).
- At the end of the program, the student is required to have a 2.0 or higher cumulative grade point average (CGPA) overall courses and no “F” grade in any course (s) taken.
- Completion of all required courses in the program.
Medium of Instruction
- The medium of instruction for the program is ENGLISH
The under graduate Plant Science major program leads to a certification referred in English as: Bachelor of Science Degree in Plant Sciences), In Amharic: “`ባችለር የሳይንስ ዲግሪ በእፅዋት ሳይንስ”.