1.1 General Objective
The general objective of the program is:
- to train English Language professionals for various competencies and occupational purposes;
1.2 Specific Objectives
The program has the following specific objectives:
- to equip students with basic English language skills and knowledge needed for a various purposes;
- to equip students with knowledge of how human language functions or the scientific study of language;
- to enable students appreciate and criticize literary works;
- to enable students to conduct research in their field of study;
- to equip students with communication and public relation skills as well as media use;
- to enable students translate and interpret various discourses.
1.3 Graduate profile of UG Program
On completion of the program, graduates would have the following competences and can:
- use English with high level of accuracy and fluency in (listening, speaking, reading, and writing);
- make critical analysis of English language texts and discourse;
- prepare seminars, forums and facilitate discussions and meetings in English;
- use appropriate English for business communications (writing memos, letters, minutes, reports, presentations, notices etc.);
- Interpret discourses and translate from and into the English language;
- write, edit, and review various texts;
- conduct a professional and critical analysis of literary works;
- conduct research;
- facilitate and run public relations.
`1.4 Teaching and learning method
The mode of learning will be student centered, participatory and reflective. Students will be let to work individually, in pairs, and in groups and make presentations, reports and whole class discussion. The instructor designs meaningful tasks and monitor the ongoing learning process. Besides, he/she has a facilitating role during pair, group or/and whole class discussion.
1.5 Program duration
Successful completion of the program would require four years of study or eight semesters for the regular program, four years of study or twelve semesters including summer semester for weekend program, and six summer semesters supported by distance courses during the remaining seasons of the year.
1.6 Admission requirement
Learners are admitted to the program based on criteria given by MoE
1.7 Assessment method
Students will be assessed both on continuous and final examination basis. The continuous assessment will be through portfolio writing, classroom presentation, tests, quiz, written assignments, speech delivery, etc.
1.8 Graduation requirement
To graduate in English Language and Literature, a trainee should have:
- a minimum overall CGPA of 2.00;
- no “ F” grade in any of the courses
- a minimum of 137 and a maximum of 143 Credit Hours
1.9 Degree Naming
Upon successful completion of the program, candidates would be awarded ‘Bachelor of Arts Degree in English Language and Literature’ /በአርት የባችለር ዲግሪ በእንግሊዝኛ ቋንቋና ስነ-ጽሁፍ
1.10 Quality Assurance and program evaluation
The quality of teaching can be assured through making references and text books and teaching materials available to learners. Besides, well qualified staff members in different streams of English and better facility of laboratories may enhance the quality of education. Moreover, the potential stakeholders/employers and the alumni will be consulted to get feedback about the quality of the education program. The quality of the program will be evaluated by both internal and external quality audit as the standards set by HERQA. It will also be assured by a permanent scheme of assessment and evaluation that will be collaboratively undertaken by the department and stakeholders. Nevertheless, the program can be revised by the directions of MOSHE following a national policy and strategy changes.