Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology and Social Work is a composite degree of the disciplines of Sociology and Social Work. The undergraduate study of the program of Sociology and Social Work has the theoretical specialty of the discipline Sociology and the profession of Social Work that is highly gears towards the practice of social service administration, social welfare and policy managements, and community-based practices.
The discipline Sociology prepares to know the behavior patterns and processes of human social relations, human behavior and social interactions in a society. The BA degree program in Sociology and Social Work is designed in such a way that the graduates can have a thorough understanding of Sociological and Social Work knowledge, practices and skills in the central areas of the discipline Sociology and Social Work administrations. Graduates can also have a good knowledge in the field Work practices as a common ways of study that reinforces their understanding of the causes, patterns and consequences of human behavior in addressing social problems, which is another given vantage point.
The undergraduate program in Sociology focuses on the social basis of behavior to understand how large-scale social structures influence human behavior at individual, group and societal levels. Social systems and institutions are treated in depth in order to explain social problems and human behavior in a relatively broader context.
The program also deals with such areas as group psychology, which studies how individuals’ behaviors are affected by the presence of other individuals [in a social context], group dynamics, and peoples’ attitudes towards the ideas of others. The program as well deals with ill health behavior vis-à-vis the social environment, and the social processes existing in health institutions particularly in the field of Introduction to Medical Sociology. This field of study also helps explore the social causes of diseases; understand social epidemiology, social pathology and the social relationship between health practitioners and the community at large. The qualities of institutions that serve the community are also investigated thoroughly.
The study of the Sociology of deviance and Criminology assists students make out the social management or administration of abnormal behaviors. The introductory courses on Social Work, social action, social welfare and administration serves as an instrument for the students to solve problems among individuals’, groups’, communities’ and their everyday difficulties (problems) and to make the social environment conducive for the respective clients. The other courses include the sociology of development and underdevelopment, rural sociology and urban sociology, environmental sociology and social policy; planning and administration which help to solve recurrent social problems of developing nations.
Professionals of Sociology and/or Social Work are expected to have the following theoretical and practical qualities.
- Promote and enhance the roles of Indigenous knowledge, practices and institutions in ensuring social, political and economic development;
- Develop, analyze, criticize and test social theories
- Carryout pure and applied researches for knowledge enhancement and problem solving interventions
- Integrate theory, research and practice of sociology and / social work in dealing with the social problems of the country;
- Design and implement social policies, programs, projects and services
- Promote positive social changes and developments
- Evaluate the outcomes and impact of social policies, programs, and services designed and implemented to bring social and economic changes
- Engage in policy dialogue and discussions at national and international levels
- Apply knowledge, skills and values of sociology and social work to problem identifications, interventions, empowerment of the needy individuals, groups or society;
- Work within diverse cultures, and socio-economic conditions in country and abroad;
- Teach and train students/trainees in college, universities and training centers at national and international levels
- Identify the problems of marginalized/vulnerable groups and advocate on behalf of them
- Engage in ecological and environmental conservation discussions, studies and practices to ensure sustainable development;
- Be responsive to cross-cutting and contemporary issues such as HIV/AIDS, gender, environment, globalization and population growth, and other economic, socio-cultural changes; ethnic and cultural diversity, tolerance, social justice
- Solve different social pathologies such as juvenile delinquency, crimes, and other anti-social behavior and also administer correctional institutions.
- Coordinate, administrate, and lead groups, social service organizations and mobilize communities in national and multinational settings;
The graduates with Bachelor of Art Degree in Sociology and Social Work acquire wide-ranging knowledge and skills; conceptual, pragmatic, methodological and civic competencies that shall prepare them to undertake the following issues specified.
- Able to carry out applied and pure researches for need assessment, baseline survey, project or program evaluation, problem solving interventions and knowledge enhancement
- Apply sociological and social work perspectives and practices in dealing with the social problems in their work environment;
- Able to design, implement, monitor and evaluate development projects;
- Identify the problems and needs of marginalized/vulnerable groups for intervention;
- ., who require a culture sensitive and compassionate understanding to their cases;
- Able to work within diverse cultures, and socio-economic conditions in their working environment;
- Demonstrate sociological knowledge understanding and social work problem solving skills to embark upon social problems like HIV/AIDS, gender based violence, ethnic and cultural problems with due respect and tolerance of diversity;
- Able to identify community assets and mobilize resources to solve different social pathologies such as poverty, health and sanitation, homeless and housing, crime and deviance, street-arab, violence and other urban problems;
- Able to coordinate and administrate social services and mobilize communities;
- Actively take part in effective teamwork among community members and other professionals by applying sociological knowledge and practice methods to act as change agents through participating in integrated and multidisciplinary development interventions;
- Able to write and present/communicate reports effectively;
- Promote indigenous knowledge, practices, social organizations and institutions in advancing development;
- Able to challenge policies and programs designed to put minority and disadvantaged groups at risk and promote social injustice; and reasonably apply social work code of ethics in their practice at all levels and areas.
- Apply ethical, justice and logical principles in their families, neighborhoods, communities, working and public places
- Able to function effectively in positions like socioeconomic program designing, rural and urban development, technology transfer, health and social service delivery, relief provision, agency-labor force relationships, culture office, etc., where sociological perspectives and methods are in high demand;
To qualify for graduation, students are required to cover a total of 143 Credit Hours (238 ECTS) set for the program. In addition to completing all courses set for the program, a candidate student who earns a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.00 for the whole courses taken, with no F grade, will be eligible for graduation. In addition, as per the legislation of Arsi university a student has a right to waive two courses which providing substitute courses unable to do so. Accordingly, the minimum and the maximum credit hour for graduation is 137 Credit hours (228 ECTS) and 143 Credit Hours (238 ECTS) respectively.
Medium of Instruction
English language is a sole medium of instruction.
The degree graduates of this program can be called “Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology and Social Work” The Amharic version of this shall read as “የአርት ባችለር ዲግሪ በሶሲዮሎጂ እና ሶሻል ወርክ