Department of Mathematics
Name of the Degree Program: Mathematics
Name of the Degree to be awarded: Bachelor of Science Degree in Mathematics
- Objectives of the Program
- 1 General Objective
To Train qualified, adaptable, motivated, and responsible Mathematicians who will contribute to the scientific and technological development of in the country.
1.2 Specific Objectives
- Provide an in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles and techniques of Mathematics.
- Develop mathematical concepts and definitions, and to extend and generalize them to new situations.
- Progress Mathematical thinking, reasoning and an appreciation of Mathematics as a primary language of science.
- Develop the fundamental concepts of mathematical modeling and how to apply mathematics to real-world situations.
- Increase basic computer and programming skills and applying them to simulation and visualization of mathematical models.
B.Sc. graduate in Mathematics is expected to:
- Develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to pursue further studies in mathematics and related fields of study.
- Appreciate the international dimension of mathematics and its multicultural and historical perspectives.
- Set up mathematical models, formulate algorithm and implement them by using numerical methods.
- Assist and participate in conducting scientific research.
- Demonstrate environmental, social, cultural and political awareness.
- Act in an ethical manner, recognize and be guided by social, professional and ethical issues involved in his/her career in particular and in the community in general.
- Exercise the power to self-expression, develop abstract, logical and critical thinking, the ability to reflect critically upon their work, the work of others, and justify the degree of accuracy of their results where appropriate.
- Develop a critical appreciation of the use of information and communication technology in mathematics.
- Create job opportunities by applying the acquired knowledge and skills.
Teaching and Learning Method
Courses are delivered with a combination of
- Lectures, power-point presentation, etc.;
- Computer laboratory work using Mathematics software;
- Practical research work;
- Group and individual assignment and exercises;
- Most Statistics courses require students to do statistical analyses both manually and using Mathematical software.
- Apparent or practical attachments and field trip
- Period of Study
- Four (4) Academic Years consisting of Eight (8) Semesters
Placements to all universities of first year regular program undergraduate students are processed through the ministry of Education. After the students have successfully completed their first year common courses, students having good background and sufficient skills and knowledge in Mathematics, will be admitted and placed to department of Mathematics based on additional criteria (optional) set by the DAC, and Arsi University Senate Legislation.
Admission to all fulltime and per-time studies for CDEP is processed by the academic unit, in consultation with the university’s registrar office and CDE director, as per the rules and regulations set by Student Admission, Placement and Transfer Committee (SAPTC).
Mode of Assessment
Since most of the courses are delivered by means of a lecture, tutorial and/or laboratory practical works, unless and otherwise specified, each course shall be evaluated through continuous assessment which includes Class Activity, Quizzes/Tests, Assignments, Presentations, home take exam, mid-term exam, and Laboratory practices. In addition, there will be a final examination with weights as per the Harmonized Academic Policy of Ethiopian Public Higher Education Institutions: Continuous Assessment: 50%; and Final Examination: 50%.
After successful completion of all the requirements, a student graduating from the Mathematics Program will be entitled to earn a degree in:
English: Bachelor of Science Degree in Mathematics
Amharic: የሳይንስ ባችለር ዲግሪ በማቲማቲክስ
Quality Assurance Mechanism
In order to assure the quality of the Mathematics BSc. Program, the following efforts shall be made by the Department and University as appropriate.
- The teaching and learning methods and facilities must be consistently implemented;
- A staff member with a minimum academic rank of lecturer delivers course lectures. Only in special cases would an academic staff with the rank of assistant lecturer undertake responsibility to teach a course if the Department officially declares the competency of the assistant lecturer;
- Students’ evaluation about the performance of an instructor is positively considered to improve the teaching learning environment;
- The examination committee of the Department evaluates and approves examination standards;
- Provide short-term training and seminars for staff members in order to make use of scientific research, modern methodology and IT.
- Feedback from graduates, employers and other stakeholders shall be the driving forces to improve the curriculum;
- The teaching facilities and materials are reviewed on regular basis;
- External audit of the performance of the Department by professionals assigned by the University should be regularly carried out as a basis for corrective measures.
Normal Semester Load and Semester Course Breakdown
- Normal Semester Load for Regular Undergraduate Students
The minimum credit hours for fulltime regular students shall be 17 per semester and the maximum credit hours for fulltime regular students shall be 20 per semester. A student who has justifiable reasons for deviation from the normal load has to secure a special permission, not exceeding 23 credit hours, from CAC and DAC as per the senate legislation.
- Semester Load for Continuing and Distance Education Undergraduate Programs
The normal semester load for Continuing and distance undergraduate programs is processed as per Arsi University Senate Legislation.